lördag, oktober 29, 2005

de Young

So I finally made it to the de Young today. I have a selection of some of the pieces I was able to see. It is a gorgeous museum, although the layout was a bit confusing. It just seemed a little, well, jumbled I suppose. I have to say I was pretty disappointed. I was looking forward to the Pacific art section, which was pretty lacking. There were a lot of artifacts from New Guinea(see the first photo for an example), but not much else. I was impressed by some of the Central American art(see the second to last photo for a great example of some Mayan work). There modern art collection also had a few interesting pieces, some of which you can see below. Oh, and the one of a bunch of blurry dots, was just that blurry. It isn't the fault of my camera like the first pic. In fact I think that might have been my favorite piece (the blurry dots not the ancestor mask, which is a real human skull, I hope my skull isn't on display in some museum hundreds of years from now, I'd be pissed, but that is another story). Back to the blurry dots, it was incredibly large, I would guess it was about (roughly that is) 40 by 60 feet or so. It really made your head hurt if you got up right close to it. Damn brain trying to focus. Although maybe my favorite was the Medusa Barbie photo, that was pretty hot. Anyhow. I would say if you are looking for more native arts then try the Asian Art Museum, which has an extraordinary collection of art from all over Asia. Beautiful and well organized to boot. And if you are more interested in European art, I say go to the Legion of Honor(my favorite bay area museum).