tisdag, januari 31, 2006

Finally, the official 2006 Coachella lineup (subject to change of course)

Let's just review the list before i critique.

Saturday, April 29th

Depeche Mode, Franz Ferdinand, Sigur Ros, Common, Damian Marley, Atmosphere, Carl Cox, My Morning Jacket, Ladytron , Clap Your Hands Say Yeah, Tosca, Cat Power, Animal Collective, HARD-fi, Derrick Carter, Devendra Banhart, She Wants Revenge, The Walkmen, The Juan Maclean, Audio Bullys, Imogen Heap, Lady Sovereign, Deerhoof, The Duke Spirit, Editors, stellastarr*, Lyrics Born, Matt Costa, The New Amsterdams, The Zutons, Platinum Pied Pipers, White Rose Movement, Chris Liberator, Colette, Joey Beltram, Hybrid, Wolfmother, The Like, Living Things, Nine Black Alps, The Section Quartet, Infadels, Youth Group, Shy FX & T Power, Infusion.

Sunday, April 30th
Tool, Yeah Yeah Yeahs, Bloc Party, Paul Oakenfold, Scissor Sisters, Matisyahu, James Blunt, TV on the Radio, Sleater-Kinney , Mogwai, Coheed and Cambria, Gnarls Barkley, Coldcut, Phoenix, Digable Planets, Amadou & Mariam, Little Louie Vega, Mylo (DJ Set), Seu Jorge, Wolf Parade, The Go! Team, Kaskade, Metric, Art Brut, Dungen, The Dears, Jamie Lidell, The Magic Numbers, Los Amigos Invisibles, Jazzanova, Michael Mayer, Mates of State, Gilles Peterson, Gabriel & Dresden, The Subways, Minus the Bear, Be Your Own Pet, Giant Drag, Kristina Sky, The Octopus Project.

So, the rumored list I had before was pretty much bumpkus. I did find it on the internet. Half the fun of the Coachella festival is anticipating what they'll do next. I think that revolves around the actual line up being better than expected or just coming out of nowhere knocking you on your ass with your jaw resting on your balls. Then there is the crushing disappointment when you realize that the one act you wanted most isn't anywhere on the list. That definitely happened this year.

So, let's start with the disappointment. The Pumpkins could have scored, but I guess we'll never know. Think next year perhaps. I think the electronic acts as a group were lacking. No Portishead. No Massive Attack. No Underworld or Icey. What do we get instead? Paul Oakenfold (ick, shudder). Ladytron will be there, but on Saturday which is overall the weaker day. The big ball crusher for me though, three words, My Bloody Valentine. This would have been an act I would have waited for all day through shitty bands and thunder storms, dehydration and rancid body odor to have a chest-crushing front row view.

Now on to the reasons I absolutely obsess over this festival (besides the fact that it is the only one worth going to that I can financially afford to get to). It is still being debated in my head which was the most ambrosial surprise for me: Tool or Sleater-Kinney. On the one hand Sleater-Kinney is one of the greatest rock bands ever to walk the planet, but then again so is Tool. I've always been wanting to go to a Tool concert, ditto Sleater-Kinney. My brain is about to explode trying to decide. At least now that Tool is confirmed I'll be able to convince my sister to go. The best part of every year though is finding music by the many acts I've never heard of and getting even more excited to hear my new favorite act of the moment. I wonder who it will be this year?